#NoMoreMartyrs is a social media campaign aimed at raising awareness of the deadly prohibition of blood transfusions imposed on Jehovah’s Witnesses by their leaders, enforceable by “disassociation” (shunning) of any Witness who “willingly and unrepentantly” accepts a transfusion.
While everyone has the right as individuals to decide for themselves what medical treatment they will accept or refuse, we believe it is wholly unethical for the Jehovah’s Witness leadership to (1) disseminate video and printed material aimed at manipulating people into refusing life-saving treatment, (2) threaten people with destruction at Armageddon and/or estrangement from their families if they refuse to comply and (3) dispatch “Hospital Liaison Committees” to hospital wards for the purpose of coercing stricken Jehovah’s Witness patients when they are at their most vulnerable (and, in some reported cases, even blocking non-believing friends and relatives from having contact under those circumstances).
To help spread our message, #NoMoreMartyrs is producing videos showing current and former Jehovah’s Witnesses destroying their “blood cards” (or “Advance Health Care Directives”). These cards are legal documents, which all Jehovah’s Witnesses are expected to carry with them, instructing medical professionals to withhold treatment with blood if the patient is unconscious or otherwise unable to request this in person.
Each and every blood card in circulation is, in practical terms, a time bomb with the potential to rob a Jehovah’s Witness of precious life. It is estimated that tens of thousands of Jehovah’s Witnesses have already martyred themselves in observance of a blood policy that is logically incoherent and lacks Biblical support (see video below).
The first #NoMoreMartyrs video “directive” was uploaded on January 18, 2019 and featured 23 individuals, three of whom donated blood on camera. 15 blood cards were destroyed in this video…
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARTICIPATING
If you would like to be involved in future #NoMoreMartyrs video directives, we ask you to review the following requirements:
- TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS: You can participate either by video (60 seconds max) or photograph. Videos should ideally be shot in landscape (horizontally) and a high resolution is preferred (720p or 1080p).
- PRIVACY: You do not need to show yourself in the video, but if you do wish to reveal your face or voice please understand that we cannot be held responsible for any undesired consequences (i.e. action taken by elders if you are considered to be a Jehovah’s Witness). Any video or photo material that you send will be interpreted as your permission to show it on YouTube. Please also make sure that you have the permission of every identifiable person shown participating in the video before sending.
- CONTENT: Your photo or video may feature one or more of the following components: (1) you or others holding up a sign with the slogan “#NoMoreMartyrs,” (2) you or others saying “My name is ____ and I will not be a martyr,” (3) you or others donating blood at an approved medical facility, and/or (4) you or others destroying a blood card. Please note: you are responsible for your own safety when making the photo or video. Please ensure that the destruction of any blood card is carried out in a safe and responsible manner.
- CREATIVITY: If you wish to say anything beyond the above wording in your video, you are welcome to. However, we ask that you keep any statement as brief and to-the-point as possible. We also encourage you to be creative in how you produce your material. For inspiration on what to do or say, please refer to previous “directive” videos.
- DISCRETION: Please understand that all video material received by us is handled at our discretion. We reserve the right to only show parts of your material according to time constraints, to modify it, or to overlook your material entirely if we feel it is inappropriate (i.e. if the footage could reasonably be interpreted as hateful or abusive, or otherwise doesn’t fit with the tone of our campaign).
- SHARING: Once all the above requirements are satisfied, please send your photo or video to email@example.com. If your photo or video will not fit as an email attachment, you can upload it to Google Drive and share a link with us.
- DEADLINE: #NoMoreMartyrs directive videos will be produced on a rolling basis, and hence there are no deadlines. We ask participants to be patient. In some cases, there may be a lengthy waiting period between you submitting material to us and it appearing on YouTube.
We encourage any who are interested in learning more about Jehovah’s Witnesses and the prohibition of blood transfusions to check the following links for more information:
If you are a journalist or producer and you are interested in speaking to us directly about this campaign, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org